University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust, UK
Planning to launch a tender for waste management services towards the end of 2021
NHS England and NHS Improvement firmly believe that we need to transform our approach to waste management and be proactive in driving the circular economy.Fiona Daly, National Sustainability and Workforce Lead, NHS England and NHS Improvement, Commercial Directorate
University Hospitals Bristol and Weston NHS Foundation Trust (UHBW) and North Bristol NHS Trust (NBT) are working in partnership to fundamentally rethink the way that ‘waste’ is managed.
In order to deliver on our progressive sustainable development strategy and our commitment to environmental protection, carbon reduction and the circular economy, we will need to adopt a forward looking, integrated and environmentally sustainable solution to both the reduction and management of waste.
This shift is line with the NHS vision to drive towards more sustainable, environmentally friendly waste management methods, successfully reduce carbon emissions from waste disposal, and to invest in clinical waste infrastructure to increase capacity and proactively work to reduce harmful emissions, improve local air quality and achieve the NHS 2050 net zero carbon target.
The hospital Trusts have identified a need for integrated and environmentally sustainable waste reduction and management services for hospitals that will support a transition to a zero waste, circular economy. The solution must provide:
- Overall and progressive reduction in ‘waste’ volumes
- A step-change in the management of ‘waste’ in support of circular material flow
- An increase in segregation, accuracy of segregation and recycling across all waste streams
- Zero export of waste and recyclables
- Zero waste to landfill by 2025
- Progressive minimisation of the need for incineration, including waste to energy incineration
- Elimination of the harmful environmental effects of any necessary incineration
- Reduction in the carbon footprint of waste management operations, including transport miles